The best way to earn a good rating and testimonial is the obvious provision of safe and effective patient care. Think about the qualities of the nurse you would want to care for your loved one.
Here are a few tips to get you started:
- If it’s your first shift at a hospital, arrive 30 minutes early to sign on.
- Always arrive at the unit at least 10 minutes before the start of your shift.
- Introduce yourself to the team leader for your shift.
- Find a ‘buddy’ nurse working near you to build rapport with so you have someone to go to (before the team leader) if you need help during your shift.
- Ask for a quick orientation to the ward/unit (emergency trolley, staff and patient toilet, kitchen, pan room, bathroom, equipment room and stores). This will help your time management immensely!
- Communicate essential information regarding your patient’s condition and movements to the team leader.
- Go to and come back from breaks on time. If you’re not sure how long they are, ask.
- If you’re finished your work, ask others if they need a hand!
- Make sure your bed spaces are tidy and unused equipment is put away.
- Document thoroughly and complete all required care plans. If in doubt, check with a regular nurse.
- Provide a thorough, clear handover and ensure all elements of the care you provided is documented.
- Thank the team leader for the day at the end of your shift.
- And last but not least, a smile goes a long way 😊
Find out more:
- What is a rating? See here: https://bit.ly/2ZyaE6P
- What is a testimonial? See here: https://bit.ly/2ZFFo5P
- Ratings & Testimonials - how do they work? See here: https://bit.ly/3hxarXq
- Why does uPaged have ratings and testimonials? See here: https://bit.ly/2ZARM6Y
- How is my rating determined? See here: https://bit.ly/32vmh07
- How is my testimonial determined? See here: https://bit.ly/3c1cGRH
- What is a good, average and bad rating? See here: https://bit.ly/3ivLtcB
- How is my average star rating calculated? See here: https://bit.ly/32vwc5N
- Do ratings and testimonials affect my ability to see or pick up more shifts? See here: https://bit.ly/3bYRVpM
- What if I get a bad rating or testimonial? See here: https://bit.ly/2RsW7ow